Web Content Viewer

Get the latest information about COVID-19 and what ODNR is doing during these uncertain times.

View More
Web Content Viewer

Commercial Nuisance Wild Animal Control Operator License

Nuisance Wild Animal Control 

Bat Exclusion Authorization Application 

When 14 or fewer bats are inside a structure, a bat exclusion can be performed at any time of the year. However, when 15 or more bats are inside a structure, it is illegal to perform an exclusion between May 16-July 31. In situations where human health and safety is at risk, a property owner/designee may seek written authorization from the Chief of the Division of Wildlife to perform a bat exclusion during the restricted dates. Before applying for authorization, the property owner/designee must inspect the property for bats and perform two bat watches at the structure within a 7-day period. To apply for this exclusion authorization, please complete and return Bat Exclusion Authorization Application.

Please call the ODNR Division of Wildlife customer service at 1-800-WILDLIFE (945-3543) for more information.

Commercial Nuisance Wild Animal Control

Below are the materials you will need to complete the application in order to become a Commercial Nuisance Wild Animal Control Operator (CNWACO). The fee for obtaining a CNWACO license is $40 per year and the license must be renewed annually by the last day of February.

Study Materials:

This application is for businesses and individuals performing Nuisance Wild Animal Control for hire. Landowners wishing to apply for a deer damage or goose damage permit must apply for those separately.


Required for all permit holders and employees who will perform Nuisance Wild Animal Control activities.

  • Number of questions: 100
  • Has a time limit of: 01:30:00
  • Must be finished in one sitting. You cannot save and finish later.
  • Questions displayed per page: 5
  • Will allow you to go back and change answers.
  • Will let you finish with some questions unanswered if you are not sure of the answer.
  • Passing grade=80%
  • Take the Ohio CNWACO Certification Test

Frequently Asked Questions 

I am an employee of a company. Do I need my own Commercial Nuisance Wild Animal Control Operator license?
No, but you must be certified or work under on-site supervision of a certified employee. On-site supervision shall be while staying within a distance from the person that enables uninterrupted, unaided visual and auditory communications.

I did not pass the test the first time I took it. Can I take the test again? And will I be penalized for taking it multiple times?
Yes, you may retake the test as many times as you need. There is no penalty for taking it more than once.

Do I need to take the certification test before I submit my permit application?
No, you may send in your application at any time. All that is required with the application is the $40 annual fee.

I passed my certification test, but I was not able to print my certificate. What do I do?
We can print your certificate for you if necessary. Please call (614) 265-6439 with your request. Be sure to provide your mailing address.

Can I save a copy of my certificate to my computer?
Yes, you can save your certificate as a pdf. Doing so will give you the ability to print it at any time.