Ohio's geology is rich with source materials used in numerous industries and in making a variety of everyday products. A robust history of industrial minerals extraction has driven the state's economy since before statehood in 1803. Today, Ohio continues to be a leading producer nationally of several commodities, including limestone, dolomite, sandstone, and conglomerate; sand and gravel; clay and shale; and salt.
The ODNR Division of Geological Survey compiles production and economic data, submitted by the state's industrial mineral operators, to produce the annual Report on Ohio Mineral Industries. The report is available as a free download and includes a map of active operators.
Downloads for Operators
The most recent edition of the mineral industries report and data are provided here. For historical data and past reports, please contact geologist Chris Wright, (614) 265-6632, Christopher.Wright@dnr.ohio.gov.
- Report on Ohio Mineral Industries, 2021 (pdf)
- 2021 Commodities Data (xls) — NOTE: Commodities are sorted by individual worksheets in the Excel file.
Click on any of the years listed below to download the annual Report on Ohio Mineral Industries (pdf) for that year.
Click on any of the commodities listed below to download historical data for that commodity (1996–present). Data is also available for each commodity from the most recent report year.
|Clay and shale (xls)||Coal (xls)||Limestone and dolomite (xls)|
|Salt (xls)||Sand and gravel (xls)||Sandstone and conglomerate (xls)|
Download the publications below to learn more about industrial minerals in Ohio. Or search our Publications Catalog.
- Educational Leaflet 8: Coal (pdf)
- Educational Leaflet 12: Clay and Shale in Ohio (pdf)
- Educational Leaflet 21: Your House Rocks (pdf)
- GeoFacts 11: Rocks & Minerals Mined in Ohio and Their Uses (pdf)
- GeoFacts 19: Sand and Gravel (pdf)
- GeoFacts 25: High-Calcium Limestones in Ohio (pdf)
- GeoFacts 27: Fracture Sand in Ohio (pdf)
- GeoFacts 32: Ohio Dimension Stone (pdf)
- Information Circular 54: A Historical Sketch of the Mineral Industries in Ohio (OSU Knowledge Bank)