Ohio State Parks Swim Safe! beach safety program, begun in 2000, remains focused on its slogan, “Keep an eye on the kids!”
To fully enjoy a safe outing at a park beach, follow these tips:
- Check water quality advisories at Ohio Department of Health - BeachGuard before you go.
- Swim only in designated areas at the beach or lake.
- Use good sense and keep a close watch on young children while they are in the water.
- Use the buddy system and designate one member of your party to remain on the beach to watch those who are swimming.
- Exercise caution since lakes, unlike pools, may have murky water making it difficult to see drop-offs.
- Bring a cell phone to make an emergency call if necessary.
- Take regular breaks and relax on the beach.
- Leave alcoholic beverages at home when you come to the beach. Swimming and drinking do not mix.