The ODNR provides public shooting ranges so Ohio’s sportsmen and sportswomen have safe places to practice with their hunting implements. Safe shooting environments and knowledgeable range attendants foster an attitude of firearms safety and respect, where shooters can develop the knowledge and skills necessary to practice safe firearms use and take the next step to attend a hunter education class and become a hunter.
See contact information for available shooting range locations below.
Supervised Ranges: Hours of Operation
Hours of operation vary. All Class A ranges are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. All Class A ranges are closed on the following dates: New Year’s Day, Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day. Contact the wildlife areas for detailed information.
Class A shooting ranges are no longer taking reservations. Deer Creek and Grand River are open Thursday - Sunday, 9am – 5pm. Woodbury is open Thursday - Saturday, 9am – 5pm and Sunday, 12pm – 5pm. Unsupervised ranges are open daylight to dusk unless otherwise noted on site.
Updates & Information
- The Class C shotgun range and Class D archery ranges at Spring Valley reopened on Saturday, Aug. 22. The new shooting range at the Spring Valley Wildlife Area is open to the public on Friday, Oct. 30! Improvements include: upgraded backstops, 65 rifle shooting stations, new entrance and parking lot, restroom facilities, range master building, outdoor education center, and static archery range. The renovated shotgun range features target launchers and designated shooting stations. Learn more.
- The Delaware Wildlife Area Shooting Range is closed for renovations, but should be completed by the end of 2020. The nearby Cardinal Shooting Center will be honoring shooting range permits for one hour, Thursday-Sunday.
- Access to the rifle/pistol range located at the Tranquility Wildlife Area Shooting Range will remain closed until further notice.
- All persons age 18 and older shooting on ODNR Division of Wildlife Class A, B, and C ranges must purchase a Shooting Range Permit which is available at all hunting and fishing license outlets.
The Division of Wildlife partners with private shooting ranges to increase access so the public can develop the knowledge and skills necessary to practice safe firearms use. Partnerships like these exponentially increase the division’s ability to reinvest in local communities and give back to shooters. Funding for these projects is derived from the federal Wildlife Restoration Act. Excise taxes are collected from the sale of firearms and ammunition, and this funding is returned to the states for wildlife management and shooting range projects.
Opportunities, dates, and hours very from range to range. Please contact the range for more details.
Cardinal Shooting Center
3389 County Road 225
Cooperative Archery Ranges
These archery ranges are made possible through an ODNR Division of Wildlife Shooting Range Cooperative Grant.
- Carter Park Archery Range (Kings Mills, OH)
- Hampton Hills Metro Park (Cuyahoga Falls, OH)
- Liberty Park (Streetsboro, OH)
- Silver Creek Park (Doylestown, OH)
- Garby Big Woods (Piqua, OH)
- Oak Grove Park (Washington Township, OH)
- West Winds Metro Park Range (Holland, OH)
- Lake Metro Parks (*Range to open in 2018)
- York Road Archery Range (Cleveland Metro Parks))
- Village of Middleport Archery Range
- Guernsey County Community Development Corp. Range (Cambridge, OH)
- On Target Outfitters (Canfield, OH)
- Sandusky County Park District (Gibsonburg, OH)
Class Definitions & Permit Fees
A = Supervised Rifle and Pistol Target Range
B = Unsupervised Rifle and Pistol Target Range
C = Unsupervised Clay Target Shotgun Range
D = Unsupervised Archery Target Range
O = Other Public Ranges; not classified by the Division of Wildlife
'*' = Supervised Trap & Skeet Range; Unsupervised Hand Trap Range (call range for details)
Class A, B, and C Rifle, Pistol, and Shotgun Ranges
- All persons age 18 and older shooting on ODNR Division of Wildlife Class A, B, and C ranges must purchase a Shooting Range Permit which is available at all hunting & fishing license outlets. Permits are not sold at the shooting ranges. These permits partially offset the cost of operations, maintenance, trash removal, and improvements.
- Shooters age 17 and under are not required to purchase a permit, but must be accompanied by and directly monitored by an adult (age 18 years or older) holding a valid Shooting Range Permit.
- Legal targets on all shooting ranges are single sheet paper targets, or stationary reactive or self healing polymer targets only. Shooters must supply their own target holders, which must meet the approval of the shooting range attendant. Grand River and Spring Valley supply target holders. The shooting of fully automatic firearms, and rapid fire of semi-automatic firearms are strictly prohibited.
- All Class A ranges have handicap accessible parking, shooting benches and restroom facilities
Annual Shooting Range Permit
- Allows the holder to be admitted to Division of Wildlife Class-A, B, and C shooting ranges for one year
- Cost: $24.00
- Code: 700
1-Day Shooting Range Permit
- Allows the holder to be admitted to Division of Wildlife Class-A, B, and C shooting ranges for one day
- Cost $5.00
- Code: 720
Shooting Range Permit and Hunting License Combo
- Annual Permit and Hunting License Combo (Resident): $29.12
- Annual Permit and Apprentice Hunting License Combo: $29.12
Shooting Range Permit year begins March 1 and ends the last day of February. Permits are available at all hunting and fishing license outlets, online, or the HuntFish OH mobile app. All costs include a $1.00 writing fee. All sales are final. No refunds are given.
Class D Archery Ranges
These Ranges are open free-of-charge. No permit is required to use these ranges, and no range attendant or restroom facilities are provided.
Shooting Range Locations and Contact Information
The list below provides information about Ohio's public shooting ranges. More information about these shooting ranges can be found on the public area web page (click the range name to learn more).