Ohio Rocks! is a multifaceted educational outreach program whose mission is to:
- Educate students, educators and the general public about Ohio’s geology and its impacts on their daily lives.
- Encourage and support young Ohioans to pursue careers in the geosciences or natural resources.
- Raise public awareness about critical earth science issues that will affect Ohioans at all levels now and in years to come.
- Foster cooperation and collaboration with land-use planners, state and local government agencies and industry to steward responsible use of Ohio’s geologic natural resources.
- Increase interaction between the ODNR Division of Geological Survey and the public at large.
We provide educators with numerous products and services that offer students exciting opportunities to learn more about Ohio’s geology. These include hands-on activities, talks and interactive experiences with professional geologists and classroom-based inquiries.
Publications & Services
Meeting State Science Standards
Our Hands On Earth Science series of activities are correlated to the State of Ohio Learning Standards. Other products can be used to meet the standards as well. Click here to download all of the Hands On Earth Science activities with correlations.
The Geological Walk Through Time is a free and interactive experience where students get up close and personal with Ohio’s rocks under the guidance of a professional geologist.
Guidebooks and Walking Tour guides highlight fascinating geologic sites in a variety of settings, from rural to urban. Search our Publications Catalog here.
Classroom & Virtual Presentations
Our geologists visit classrooms and discuss various topics, such as fossils, rocks and minerals, earthquakes and the Ice Age.
We also provide virtual learning experiences, such as Ohio Rock Talks webinars and short videos on many topics, on our YouTube channel.
Ohio Geology Student Research Grants
The Ohio Geology Student Research Grant program provides Earth Science students at Ohio colleges and universities with funding for research on the geology of Ohio. Learn more here.
Survey staff members take part in many events throughout the year to answer questions, identify rocks and fossils, and promote earth science education, including:
- Earth Science Week, sponsored by American Geosciences Institute
- Rock-&-mineral shows
- Fossil Fest, sponsored by Cincinnati Museum Center
- Ohio State Fair
- Hikes, conferences, meetings and more
Explore our events calendar here.
We have thousands of digital images, rock and mineral specimens, fossils and other materials to illustrate earth science concepts. Contact our Geologic Records Center for more information.