Rock House is an enclosed, cave-like structure located in Hocking Hills State Park with a colorful history. Rock House contains a row of seven "windows" separated by massive columns of solid stone. Steps have been cut into a cliff that lead up and through the windows.
Inside is a tunnel-like passageway, about twenty-five feet high, two hundred feet long, and twenty to thirty feet wide.
Various groups have used Rock House as a shelter for thousands of years. Archaeological evidence has shown that American Indians once inhabited the cave. Small recesses in the rock walls, called "hominy holes" by early white settlers, are believed to have been used by American Indians as baking ovens. They also created troughs on the cave's floor, which collected water, providing inhabitants with a water supply.
Rock House has been a tourist destination for visitors for nearly a century before the State of Ohio established Hocking Hills State Park. In 1835, Colonel Rempel, a retired military office and businessman from Logan, Ohio, built a full-service hotel and gardens. The sixteen-room hotel, complete with a ballroom and livery stable, was built a short distance away from Rock House. While the main building of the hotel is gone today, features and plants from gardens remain. Additionally, according to local folklore, Rock House was used as a hideout by robbers, murderers, and bootleggers in the nineteenth century. This earned it the nickname Robbers Roost.